The palace was built by Sultan Abdulaziz between the years 1863-1867 and designed by Armenian architect Nigokos Balyon, it is the last sample of its period. Previously there was a beautiful Ottoman garden garden, ornated by the many kind of flowers and tulips on the Bosphorus. This was a period in which Ottoman sultans lived in their own buildings rather than living in those of theirs ancertors. The inner walls and the roof were made of wood, the outer walls made of colorful marble.
During the Second Constitutional Monarchy, Sultan Mehmet Resat allowed the parliament to hold their meetings in this building. In 1910, the great fire destroyed the palace then the palace served many years as a football stadium for Besiktas J.K. In 1989 the ruined palace was bought by a Japanese Corporation which restored the palace and made a luxury hotel complex. Today, it is also known as Hotel Kempinsky, moreover, it is the most expensive hotel in Turkey. The palace can be seen during the Bosphorus Cruise.
You can book Bosphorus Cruise Tour with Romos Travel.
Visit and see the most famous highlights of Istanbul city
Or please click below to go back to ‘Istanbul’ Page